YAY! TO AFFORDABLE PRODUCTS!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Review- Revlon PhotoReady Foundation : Quality Unready


Ok so here goes. It's Revlon PhotoReady Foundation. I saw it first being used by Michelle Phan in her School Picture Day Look tutorial..


I was looking for a foundation that will look good in photos-no ghostly white face in flash photography. So I went and bought Revlon PhotoReady Foundation at Guardian's for RM64.90, quite a hike from my previous SilkyGirl's RM19.90 foundation. But of course the amount and packaging are different. I brought it home, oogled at it like a 6 year old would a Barbie.


Let's get up close and personal:


Front

Back
Price
Tone :006 Medium Beige
Content: 30ml
SPF20
It's water based, and claims to achieve 'perfected airbrushed skin in any light'
-Yes! Photography y'all!
Bottom of bottle-content description
Has a pump nozzle.
Pump nozzles are great because they save time, keeps products fresh  & hygienic and mess-free.
These are pictures taken as soon as I ripped off the plastic wrap, before the product was used. I was oh so very excited to try it out. 


But there were a few doubts...What I learned from my search is that low to zero SPF foundation is good for photography. SPF protects our skin by bouncing off sun ray that touches our skin. Hence, SPF naturally will bounce back the camera flash, making you look ghostly white in pictures. When I saw that PhotoReady has SPF 20, I was a bit iffy about it as SPF 20 is quite on the high side. I saw other (drugstore) foundations that has lower SPF (L'Oreal True Match Liquid Foundation has SPF 17). But I was so excited about this new Revlon's baby and having watched Michelle Phan's tutorials using this has made me more confident about it. I mean, she wouldn't have recommended a product that doesn't work, right? She's a make-up Guru after all.


Below are photos of the foundation applied on the back of my hand:


It's slippery, glides on liquid (some foundations glides on with powdery finish)
It dries off quite quickly, making blending hard..
Taken without flash. I can see the difference between my real skin and skin applied with PhotoReady.
My skin looks 'layered' and cakey.
Taken with flash. See the bits of shimmer? How can that be good for photography? Is that 'photo ready'? 
Taken in natural light-by the window on a sunny afternoon at 2PM. Looks natural.


So here's what I found out after trying it out for 4 weeks:


Pro's
Here's where it works:
1. Outside in bright daylight:
Looks alright outside in bright daylight





2. Inside room with lighting & camera without flash

Inside a room with lighting, without flash

And...that's pretty much it.


The Con's


1. Looks BAD with FLASH!


SHIMMER! Really Revlon?! This what you mean by PhotoReady?
SPARKLY! Nuff said. Hey Edward Cullen, I figured your foundation out!
2.The formula's a bit runny. If you squirt it on the back of your hand before blending it with your foundation brush, please make sure your hand doesn't move too much. It will drip.

3. The foundation sets liquid . It means that it settles down on your skin without a powdery feel. It also makes it feel heavy.

4. When blending, the formula dries too quickly, making blending and building up the layers very hard. So you cant' help but looking like you're having a fight with your brush when applying it. Yikes!

5.  Since it's not blend-able & buildable due to the quick-drying formula, the result is medium coverage, cuz seriously, you'd just give up on it after applying the 1st layer because of the effort you had to put in to coat the whole face. Sigh.

6.The finish is shimmery, which baffles me.

In a dark room with flash. Sigh...The shimmer shows up more. Bad for night time photography
For people like me who wants a foundation that DOESN'T reflect light, what makes Revlon think that shimmer doesn't? It is the exact opposite of photo friendly! If we're talking about photography, we're going for matte not dewy, Revlon.

7. It has limited shades. Revlon PhotoReady Liquid Foundation comes only in 5 shades in Malaysia. 


8. Ok here's the big BUMMER. My skin broke out. After 4 weeks, my skin decided to pass me the message that this foundation really sucks by breaking out all over my face. I don't have a photo of my skin right now, as y'all know how break outs look like, right? It's just too ugly. To make sure it was the foundation causing these break outs, I  stopped using it for a week and since, my skin has stopped breaking out. So there.  BAD, BAD, foundation!


So there you have it. Even though it works in daylight & in photography without flash, I will NEVER repurchase.
I wish to share this (unpleasant) experience as many people have been too excited over the arrival of this new product . I hope this helps! 
I'm gonna curl up in bed now and cry my eyes out over my ugly skin, while continuously rubbing vitamin E on the scars. Begone scars, begone! :P


*All pictures were taken using Nokia N79 5MP camera.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the lighting thing is not right! people who are originally light toned to begin with will appear light in cam,Obviously I know people who wear high spf foundation and they looked still dark skinned on cam..Alek wek still looks dark in any bright lighting,so does wesley snipes and others.. If people prefer to look light/bright/radiant than thats their preference! I hate dim and dull/shadowy. Alot of times people come out looking jaundice toned, the brighter the better.Personal preference. I know people with no foundation who appear light because they are originally light to begin with. WE HUMANS ALSO DONT TAKE PICS IN THE DARK! Many of times Ive seen pics where its a group photo and the light people appeared pale and darker toned people still appear darker toned. Its a basic concept.
    I took photography for years,
    Good luck on your quest for your favorite foundation. I dislike how it looks patchy and uneven. However, if you like it or dislike it..thats your preference.
    Find what you think is the most suitable for yourself I hate to tell people which foundation or blush/concealer/bronzer/liner to wear...its up to them on what they think is suitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello...Hi there :):):):)

    May I know...What's your problem? What are you mad at me for? as you can read in the disclaimer below, THIS IS MY PERSONAL BLOG AND PERSONAL OPINION. I am not suggesting that a person should or should not wear anything, I just tell people what I achieve after using certain products. I don't force them to agree with me.

    And as for your statement : 'WE HUMANS ALSO DONT TAKE PICS IN THE DARK!' all I can say is, yes, sometimes we take pictures in the dark, when we are in clubs or having dinner under the stars. You mean to say you are human and have never taken pictures in the dark? Poor you!

    Also, when you said : 'Find what you think is the most suitable for yourself I hate to tell people which foundation or blush/concealer/bronzer/liner to wear...its up to them on what they think is suitable.'

    Like I said, I AM NOT FORCING ANYONE TO AGREE WITH ME. I am just simply stating what I achieved when using this product.

    Here's my disclaimer again, for you to read, because clearly, you are confused.. :)

    DISCLAIMER: REVIEWS ARE BASED ON THE WRITER'S PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. THE REVIEWS ARE TO BENEFIT THE READERS, NOT AN ADVERTORIAL FOR ANY COMPANIES UNLESS IT BEING STATED. I AM NOT AFFILIATED OR LINKED TO ANY OF THE BRANDS MENTIONED ON THIS BLOG, NOR AM I PAID FOR PUBLISHING ANY FEATURED CONTENT. PLEASE ALSO KEEP IN MIND IF A PRODUCT DOESN’T WORK FOR ME, DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT WOULDN'T WORK FOR YOU.

    Thank you my dear... :) xoxoxo [xoxo means hugs and kisses, just in case you don't understand what xoxoxo means :) ]

    ReplyDelete